These savory filled giant pasta shells can be easily made ahead of time for a large group and then reheated gently or served at room temperature.
- 16 giant pasta shells
- 1 C. ricotta cheese, drained
- 14 oz. canned light Italian style tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 T. capers, whole or chopped
- 1 tsp. chives, snipped
- 4 T. Fontina, Gruyere, Swiss or cheddar cheese, shredded
- pinch nutmeg
- S & P
- 2 T. Parmigiano, grated
Overnight, place ricotta in a cheesecloth lined sieve over a large bowl, in the refrigerator, to drain.
Boil the pasta in a large amount of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.
Place the ricotta cheese with the tuna in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the red pepper, capers, chives, 2 T. shredded cheese, nutmeg and S & P to taste.
Fill each shell with ricotta mixture, and place in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese and Parmigiano. Place under a preheated broiler or very hot oven and cook until the cheese melts. Serve hot or at room temperature.