Funghi e Castagne Alla PannaPosted By | Posted On Feb 28, 2011
This combination of chestnuts and mushrooms in a cream sauce makes an elegant addition to a Thanksgiving table.
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh chestnuts prepared as in above recipe, leave whole
- 1 1/2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T. butter
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs. medium white or cremini mushrooms
- S & P
- 1/4 C. dry Marsala
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme or marjoram
- 1/2 C. heavy or whipping cream
- 1 1/2 T. parsley, minced
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel. Trim off the very end of the mushroom stem where the soil collects; cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter with olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms lightly brown. Add the Marsala and the thyme, cook over higher heat until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Add the chestnuts and the cream and bring to a simmer. Cook until the cream has slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with minced parsley.